NatureBridge: Summer Backpacking Program
13-Day Olympic Mountains Wilderness Expedition
Dates: July 22 – August 3, 2018
Ages: For students entering 10th, 11th, and 12th grade, or who have just graduated high school
Immerse yourself in backpacking, in environmental science, and in the wonder of exploring a national park on this exceptional 13-day experience.
- Embark on an 8-day backpacking expedition through Olympic National Park.
- Design and conduct your own science investigation.
- Discover what it means to be a field scientist.
- Travel across gorgeous forest and mountain landscapes.
- Learn, or improve, your backpacking skills.
- Form new friendships.
- Hike 5-10 miles each day to a new campsite, carrying everything you need in a large backpack that weighs 40-50 lbs.
- Strengthen your leadership skills.
- Present your science investigations to National Park staff, NatureBridge educators, your family, and peers.
Students have used their NatureBridge summer backpacking experience and research for high school capstone projects, college entrance essays, and job resumes. This challenging and fun adventure will likely be one of your most meaningful and rewarding experiences. No backpacking experience is necessary and financial aid is available.